- Slow down speedy eaters: for those dogs eating dry food diets, use the SnuffleMutt snuffle mat to make meal or snack times last longer.
- Entice a dog who is not very enthusiastic about eating or hesitates when eating out of traditional plastic or metal bowls.
- Provide stimulation for senior dogs: for those dogs who aren’t as mobile, or have trouble bending down to eat food off the ground, prop the SnuffleMutt snuffle mat on top of a box or small table to relieve any strain on your dog's neck/shoulders.
- Dogs with disabilities
Unlike most work-to-eat toys, a snuffle mat will more likely “stay put” versus rolling away. It’s a great solution, especially for blind dogs who find themselves bumping into things or getting frustrated when they have trouble keeping up with a toy that moves around too much.
- Great for dogs recovering from an illness or surgery and restricted from exercise or physical activity: the SnuffleMutt snuffle mat makes it easier for your dog to stay in a smaller area, while still exerting mental energy.
- Help with behavior modification: slowly introduce your dog or puppy to new sites, smells, and noises by allowing them to use the SnuffleMutt snuffle mat while anxiety-causing stimulus is nearby.
- Some dogs are a bit anxious or apprehensive when new guests come into the home: move your dog to a gated off area, etc. with the SnuffleMutt snuffle mat to help redirect that anxiety until they are more settled.
- For dogs with separation anxiety or distress: sometimes other interactive work-to-eat toys are too passive to engage a dog’s brain. Research shows the opposite for dogs who use a snuffle mat – 7 out of 10 dogs showed significant improvement in their mental and physical wellbeing when a bowl or plate of snacks was replaced with a long fiber carpet (similar to a snuffle mat).
Inclement weather makes it harder to provide dogs with physical activity – use the SnuffleMutt snuffle mat to help expend mental energy instead!
- Helps acclimate your dog or puppy to the car and car rides.
- Great for nose work and scent games!
- Makes crate time a fun time!
- Keeps your dog focused and engaged on something constructive vs. your furniture or shoes :)
- Encourages your dog to use his/her natural instincts to forage for food.
After removing your SnuffleMutt snuffle mat from its shipping box, gently bring the mat back to life by shaking it upside down (as it’s likely flattened a bit during shipping). Next, flip right side up and gently pull on and separate the fleece pieces to help create different levels, nooks, and curls with the fabric.
Dog owners will find that SnuffleMutt snuffle mats are much easier to setup than stuffing or fiddling with hard-to-open treat dispensing toys.
As with any food puzzle or interactive work-to-eat toy, you’re going to need some food – and dry food or treats work best. Additionally, harder treats or kibble vs. soft food will help maintain the longevity of the SnuffleMutt snuffle mat.
Take a handful or cupful of your dog’s favorite treats, kibble, etc., and sprinkle throughout the snuffle mat. Initially, make it easier by placing the treats right at the top of the mat. When the dog becomes familiar with how to use the mat, make it more difficult by burying the treats deeper into the fleece folds. Just don’t make it too hard (especially in the beginning when they are learning how to use the mat) or they may lose interest.
Now step back and watch your dog snuffle away!
It’s also best to mix in some “special” treats (e.g. small pieces of green tripe, freeze dried liver – anything with a strong scent). Variety will keep your dog snuffling along!
Hand wash with cold water and a mild detergent. Let air dry.
Machine wash cold on delicate cycle - DO NOT use chlorine bleach. Tumble dry on low and remove promptly. DO NOT iron.
Quick tips to help keep your SnuffleMutt snuffle mat looking and functioning like new!
As with any dog toy (food dispensing, interactive work-to-eat, or other), your dog should be supervised when he/she is enjoying the SnuffleMutt snuffle mat. Always monitor your dog’s interaction with the mat to ensure they are using it appropriately and not eating or ingesting the fleece or rubber mat. Remove the snuffle mat and put away in a safe place when the treats are gone and the mat is not in use, or if any part becomes loose, detached, or damaged. For pet use only.